Sunday, January 1, 2012

Crafty Post! And more about living...

Nothing at all to do with having been a JW. This is just a post for fun. <----- Not true. I ended up getting carried away and sharing more of my journey with you!

A FB friend posted a pic of a blanket someone made her. Inspired, I decided to make the same kind of blanket for my loved ones for this coming Christmas. I realize it's a year away, but I have 7 adults and 9 children to make blankets for, and that's just my immediate family. It will be relatively easy, no sewing involved, and they will be useful. I love that. Having something *useful* is important to me.

I wish I had my sewing machine (which is in storage in Appalachia) because I could be designing and sewing much more than no-sew fleece blankets, but I'm still excited about the blankets. And I have enough time to make them all, if I get started soon.

For the crafty among us, all I'll do is have equal sized sections of fleece, laid flat together, cut strips into both pieces at equal intervals, then knot the 2 layers together. Piece of cake.

I need to decide what size to make them all. I could make 9 twin-size blankets for the kids beds, and then a queen or king size to go on the adults beds, which would mean everyone gets a new blanket/bedspread, or I could make them all small enough to use as a throw blanket to use while you're watching TV. Decisions, decisions.

My list of who I give gifts to is limited to my husband & children, The Roomie, my siblings, & my nieces & nephews. Those are who I consider to be my "immediate family." I would love to branch out and give things to my aunts & uncles and my cousins and my grandparents, but my extended family is large on both sides and I would go flat broke in minutes. LOL But I'll definitely be doing something for my grandparents.

Well, ok, I said this was just going to be a crafty post, but it's inspired me to tell you about my phone call to my grandma on Christmas Day.

My grandma has never heard me wish her a Merry Christmas. I was 3 the last time I celebrated, so I don't remember much about it. I remember that day, to be sure, vividly, but I was too young to be involved in any other capacity.

In Christmas Day I phoned my grandma, over 2000 miles away, and I told her, "Merry Christmas, Grandma." That was it. So simple, and something so many just take for granted, but for me, it was a HUGE step toward living my life. She wished me a Merry Christmas, as well, and even though she was reserved in her manner, as is her way, I know it was a big moment for her, too.

4 comments:

  1. I would go with throw size blankets, jmo. <3 U

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input, Pinky. <3 U 2. :) Thanks for the support.

    I think throw blankets would be easier. But I still like the idea of having a new bedspread... Maybe I could do that for the adults and make the kids throw blankets. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with throw blankets. With matching cuddle pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! Pillows is a great idea! See? I knew I was friends with you guys for a reason! ;)

    ReplyDelete